Sustainable tropical forest industries are an important part of the solution to forest degradation, deforestation and poverty by generating revenue from sustainably managed forests and providing employment and income in rural communities.
In many tropical countries, however, small and medium-sized forest enterprises often lack the capacity and enabling environment they need to flourish. They face challenges such as inadequate planning, low profitability, and a lack of research and development, marketing skills and access to finance.
ITTO is helping provide solutions to these and other challenges by supporting countries and enterprises to:
- Pursue innovative approaches to the sustainable and inclusive industrialization of the tropical forest sector.
- Improve efficiency in the processing and marketing of forest products.
- Address forest law enforcement, governance and trade.
- Develop legal and sustainable wood supply chains.
- Establish and manage forest plantations.
See more ITTO work on SDG 9, "Industry, innovation and infrastructure"