ITTO will convene an African Regional Workshop on Afforestation and Reforestation Projects Development under the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) from 23 to 27 June 2008 in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire with the support of the Government of Côte d'Ivoire through the SOCIETE DE DEVELOPPEMENT DES FORETS (SODEFOR).
The general objective of the workshop is to promote the understanding of the rules and procedures of AR-CDM and encourage country level initiatives in promoting AR-CDM project activities in line with the ITTO Guidelines for the Restoration, Management and Rehabilitation of Degraded and Secondary Tropical Forests. Specifically, the Workshop in Côte d'Ivoire intends to:
- enhance participants’ general knowledge of AR-CDM projects, including introduction to the rules and regulations governing AR-CDM projects, Project Design Document (PDD), baseline and monitoring methodologies development;
- familiarize participants with the financial and investment issues relating to AR-CDM projects;
- promote the exchange of experiences in the development of AR-CDM projects through AR-CDM case studies;
- enhance the capacity of project proponents in collecting the data and information necessary for preparing the AR-CDM Project Design Document; and
- facilitate the exchange of views on reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD) as well as information on the readiness mechanism planned under the Forest Carbon Partnership Facility managed by the World Bank.
The Regional Workshop will be conducted in French and English and will have around 30 participants from ITTO member countries in the African region. After attending the Workshop, participants are expected to make use of and follow up on the outcomes and experiences gained through the Workshop in their respective countries.