This workshop is within the framework of ITTO project PD 359/05 Rev.1 (F) 'Building capacity to develop and implement afforestation and reforestation projects under the Clean Development Mechanism (AR-CDM) of the Kyoto Protocol in tropical forestry sector'. The objective of the workshop is to promote the understanding of the rules and procedures of AR-CDM and encourage country-level initiatives in promoting AR-CDM project activities in line with the ITTO Guidelines for the Restoration, Management and Rehabilitation of Degraded and Secondary Tropical Forests. Specifically, the workshop intends to:
- enhance participants' general knowledge of AR-CDM projects, including introduction to the rules and regulations governing AR-CDM projects, Project Design Document (PDD), and baseline and monitoring methodologies development;
- familiarize participants with the financial and investment issues relating to AR-CDM projects;
- promote the exchange of experiences in the development of AR-CDM projects through AR-CDM case studies;
- enhance the capacity of project proponents in collecting the data and information necessary for preparing the AR-CDM PDD; and
- facilitate the exchange of views on the possible inclusion of reducing emissions from deforestation in a post-2012 agreement of the Kyoto Protocol.
The workshop will be conducted in Spanish and will have around 25 participants from ITTO member countries in Latin America who are invited by the ITTO Secretariat through the official ITTO contact point. As a follow-up of the workshop, participants are expected to initiate preparation of forestry-based CDM project design documents in their respective countries.