ITTO has committed to the development of voluntary guidelines for the design and implementation of successful forest landscape restoration (FLR) in the tropics as a joint initiative of the Collaborative Partnership on Forest (CPF) entitled “Fostering Partnerships to Build Coherence and Support for Forest Landscape Restoration”. The expert group meeting aims at to:
- Review the lessons of selected FLR projects in Africa, Asia-Pacific and Latin America;
- Update global FLR movement, FLR programs of the members of the CPF to identify opportunities for capturing synergies;
- Review the use of existing FLR tools/guidelines developed by CPF members;
- Identify the gaps of the ITTO Guidelines for the restoration, management and rehabilitation of degraded and secondary tropical forests in supporting the effective design and implementation of FLR initiatives in the tropic; and
- Under the framework of operationalizing GPFLR’s principles for FLR, design the scope and key elements of new FLR guidelines to promote the restoration and management of degraded tropical forests and decide on the next steps to develop new guidelines.