The International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) has signed a contract with the European Union to implement the project “Independent timber market monitoring (IMM): analysis of the reception of FLEGT (Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade) licensed timber on the EU market as framed by VPAs (Voluntary Partnership Agreements)” under the framework of ITTO’s recurring Biennial Work Program activity “Promote trade in tropical timber and tropical timber products from sustainably managed and legally harvested sources”.
As a part of the IMM implementation process, ITTO is now seeking Correspondents in Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands at the earliest possible date.
Guided by the IMM Lead Consultant, the Correspondents shall prepare market national scoping studies. The studies will draw primarily on structured interviews with trading companies, trade associations, government agencies and other interests. The studies will also draw on trade statistics compiled by the IMM Market and Technical Analyst and on statistics and reports from other agencies. The studies will identify:
- the species and types of products imported from VPA countries into Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands (in more detail than may be derived from trade statistics);
- the specific buyers and end users of timber products from VPA countries in Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands;
- views of traders, manufacturers and retailers in Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands in relation to timber from VPA countries, including perceptions of quality, prices, product range, technical and environmental performance;
- views of traders, manufacturers and retailers in relation to the level of commitment to legality verification and environmental certification in Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands; and
- the organizations and policies in Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands (such as EUTR MOs, government agencies, trade associations, and environmental groups) that particularly influence traders, manufacturers and retailers views and procurement practices.
Working with the IMM Lead Consultant and other members to the EU Survey Team, the Correspondents shall also:
- contribute to the development of the IMM price series database;
- contribute to IMM quarterly newsletters;
- liaise with VPA Competent Authorities and other government authorities in Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands to facilitate early and regular access to data on licensed product imports;
- assist with preparation of the 2017 IMM Annual Report;
- assist with development and translation of other technical surveys and reports as required;
- deliver presentations and attend meetings in the EU on behalf of IMM as required by the IMM Lead Consultant;
- provide updates for the IMM website;
- assist with provision of market-related data on Belgium, France, Italy and the Netherlands in response to requests from other agencies.
The Correspondents will be contracted as independent consultants on a part-time basis until the end of 2017. Subject to satisfactory performance, the Correspondents may be reappointed for a period of one year from 1 January 2018 and in subsequent years during the period of IMM implementation.
Please send your application to IMM Lead Consultant, Sarah Storck: email@example.com; +49 721 1839456. Ms Storck will also be happy to offer further information.