The International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) has signed a contract with the European Union to implement the project “Independent timber market monitoring (IMM): analysis of the reception of FLEGT (Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade) licensed timber on the EU market as framed by VPAs (Voluntary Partnership Agreements)” under the framework of ITTO’s recurring Biennial Work Program activity “Promote trade in tropical timber and tropical timber products from sustainably managed and legally harvested sources”.
As a part of the IMM implementation process, ITTO is now seeking an Indonesia Correspondent at the earliest possible date.
The Correspondent shall prepare a National Scoping Study for Indonesia. The Study will review and expand on the data already compiled in the national Annex to the IMM Baseline Report for Indonesia and provide the foundation for long-term monitoring and the Annual Report Country Annexes for Indonesia. The Correspondent will also provide regular market feedback and liaise with FLEGT authorities and other stakeholders.
The Indonesia National Scoping Study will identify:
- VPA policy developments in Indonesia likely to impact on trade;
- trends in area of commercial forest land and timber production in Indonesia by forest type and tenure;
- the proportion of forest area and harvest covered by various forms of legality verification and certification in Indonesia;
- production of wood products, by type, in Indonesia;
- domestic wood consumption trends in Indonesia;
- timber imports into Indonesia;
- timber exports by product type and destination from Indonesia;
- industry structure and composition in Indonesia;
- structure of wood distribution and trading chains in Indonesia;
- level, direction and type of recent investment in the forest sector in Indonesia.
The Indonesia Correspondent shall also:
- identify and regularly report on key developments in Indonesia with potential to impact on availability and competitiveness of FLEGT licensed products;
- contribute to the development of the IMM price series database;
- liaise with VPA licensing and other government authorities in Indonesia to facilitate early and regular access to data on licensed product exports;
- assist the Lead Consultant to prepare the IMM Annual Summary Report;
- assist with development and translation of other technical surveys and reports as required;
- provide updates for the IMM website;
- assist with provision of market-related data on Indonesia in response to requests from other agencies.
The Correspondent will be contracted as an independent consultant on a part-time basis until the end of 2017. Subject to satisfactory performance, the Correspondent may be reappointed for a period of one year from 1 January 2018 and in subsequent years during the period of IMM implementation.
Please send your application to IMM Lead Consultant, Sarah Storck: firstname.lastname@example.org; +49 721 1839456. Ms Storck will also be happy to offer further information.