The project proposal for a second phase will build upon the achievements of the currently ongoing project PD 57/99 Rev.2 (F)”Sustainable Management of Production Forests at the Commercial Scale in the Brazilian Amazon - Phase I” implemented by EMBRAPA. In its first phase, the project is developing and validating, in collaboration with two timber enterprises, a set of silvicultural and managerial tools to support enterprises working in terra firme forests of the Brazilian Amazon in planning, implementing and monitoring its operations to achieve sustained financial benefits under current and foreseeable environmental and social conditions.
The present second-phase project proposal overall objective is to encourage the adoption of sustainable forest management practices by medium and large scale timber enterprises in the Brazilian Amazon via the transfer of the aforementioned developed tools. In particular, the project will focus on improving the capacity of organisations relevant for training and dissemination of SFM tools to timber enterprises and government environmental agencies responsible for forest management in the Amazon and on increasing the efficiency of efforts of organisations for training and dissemination to foster the adoption of SFM tools by timber enterprises.
Mayor outputs, among others, can be summarized as follows:
- Ten educational institutions trained in the use of SFM tools;
- Users of SFM tools trained;
- Five SFM computer tools consolidated and disseminated;
- Four guidelines to support the implementation of SFM prepared and disseminated;
- A compendium on current strategies for disseminating SFM tools in Brazil;
- Technical, social, financial and environmental assessment reports of efforts to disseminate SFM tools on six selected enterprises; and
- A manual, a policy brief and a scientific article about effective dissemination of SFM tools to timber enterprises in the Amazon.