The Chinese Central as well as Local Governments in the tropical regions of China have devoted great efforts on improving tropical forest management and resulted in increased forest cover. However, forest degradation, fragmentation and modification continue taking place for various reasons including the lack of understanding on the tropical forest landscapes by stakeholders, lack of mechanism for stakeholders to participate in forest management decision making, poverty, lack of appropriate approaches and demonstrations, lack of financial incentives for forest landscape restoration and weak national policy.
This project aims to promote landscape restoration, sustainable management of tropical forests and sustainable development in the tropical region of China. Its specific objectives are to: i) train and apply the ITTO Manual on Restoring Forest Landscapes in tropical China; and ii) to demonstrate and extend the application of the ITTO Manual on Restoring Forest Landscapes in the tropical region of China.
The expected main outputs of the project include:
- Training on the ITTO Manual on restoring forest landscapes conducted;
- Application of the ITTO Manual in the Lingshui County of Hainan monitored and reported;
- Forest Landscapes Restoration (FLR) Plan for Lingshui County developed;
- Three demonstration plots for FLR in Lingshui County established and operational;
- Application of the ITTO Manual trained and extended; and
- Project Technical Reports published and disseminated.